Sunday, April 16, 2017

Smoothies for Dummies

I've been on a smoothie kick lately. I drink one every morning for breakfast. For a long time I didn't drink smoothies for breakfast because I didn't want to have to wake up early to blend them up.

"But you can freeze everything and then just dump it in the blender!" people would say.

"But I am still too lazy for that!" I replied.

Thankfully, my younger sister came to visit me in March and she informed me that you can make your smoothies ahead of time and then literally just grab one out of the fridge, shake it, and drink it.

Mind. Blown.

I posted a picture on Instagram of what I was putting in my smoothies and one person asked if I would blog about how I keep my smoothies good for several days. So, I decided to blog about it because WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT THE PEOPLE GET.

So, here's how to make a really easy and healthy smoothie that will last you all week long.

Step 1: Gather your ingredients.


Step 2: Chop your ingredients.


Step 3: Blend your juicy ingredients (oranges, kiwi, pineapple, peaches, nectarines, etc).


Step 4: Add your leafy greens (spinach or kale) with your bananas on top. I like to put something heavy on top of my leafy green because it seems like it blends better.


Step 5: Add the rest of your ingredients (apple, berries, etc), blend, and can. Mason jars are awesome. I have been able to store smoothies in mason jars for up to a week at a time. The only reason I haven't stored them longer is because I drink them too quickly!


Things to know:

-You can use any mason jars with fitting lids that you own, or you can browse Amazon, Target, or Wal Mart for fancy jars with different tops.

- I do not freeze my smoothies. I keep them in the fridge and just make sure to shake them really well before I drink them.

- Brown bananas are best. I think they're the sweetest.

What I like to blend:

-banana
-spinach/kale
-berries
-kiwi (leave the skin on for added nutrition)
-nectarines
-pears
-apples
-orange/clementines/cuties
-pineapple
-mango
-beets

What you should NEVER blend because I tried it and it's disgusting:

-chard
-broccoli

What I haven't tried yet but want to:

-carrots
-almonds
-chia seeds (I heard these get kind of "gummy" if you add them ahead of time, so I've been advised to wait until you're about to drink the smoothie before adding them.
-Protein powder
-Cucumber
-Cantaloupe
-Coconut (I don't really like coconut but feel like it could maybe be good in a smoothie?

What do you think? Is there anything I should add but that didn't make my list?

2 comments:

  1. Love this!! I was actually thinking of having a smoothie today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. carrots are amazing! Also try adding cabbage. Btw...one thing I learned from a professional smoothie maker (yes, that is a real thing) is that if you want to add an ingrediant, but don't want to taste it, if it is the size of the palm of your hand or less, you won't taste it as long as you have lots of other stuff in there. That's how I add in cabbage or other things that have good nutrients but just won't add much to the taste!

    ReplyDelete